Thursday, September 23, 2010

It was about three years ago next weekend when I took off from the starting line of the St. George Marathon. I remember it so vividly.  Four O'clock in the morning we gatherd around warm fires trying to keep warm in the dark cold morning, until it would be time to line up. As I was preparing my mind & body for what would be the longest run of my life so far, my dad gave me some good advice. Him and my momma love running, too, and have had the experience of running that exact race. My dad was running it with me that day. One thing I remember was, "Now, at some point they will give you what they call 'Goo', it's like the consistency of honey and it gives you an energy jolt." I thought I had it all under control now that I had this experienced runner's knowledge.......
Time came up, with the anticipation bubbling inside, I anxiously was off. In this particular marathon, and maybe in other ones as well (I don't know), every mile or so you are met by people on the sides of the road handing you things such as; water, Gatorade, bananas, 'goo', & so on. Usually they would be yelling out what they had in their hands so that you could just grab and go. That was really nice I thought.
When I was about to reach mile 18, I saw in the distance people handing out what looked like this 'goo' on the end of a Popsicle stick. I thought that was strange, but as I reached their location I grabbed the stick, waving it as I said, "Thank You,"and stuck the whole 'goo' in my mouth and threw the stick on the ground. (I do not believe in littering, they cleaned it all up after us). It only took about 5 seconds to realize that what I had actually put in my mouth was in fact Neosporine. Gross! Yes, I had eaten Neosporine. I couldn't stop laughing to myself just thinking about what all those people thought as I licked that stick clean. It has always made me laugh ever since when I think about it. Yeah and later on in the race, they did give us 'goo' in a package that said, "Goo". Who would have thought? But I think that 'my' goo made my day and has helped me understand my journey ever sense......

When running the race of life we sometimes fall, go the wrong direction or eat "goo". We will probably experience alot of embarrassment and heartache & disappointment at our times. BUT I have learned that these things in life don't define us, they refine us & its even better when they make you laugh. I definitely was refined that day and will never forget it......

1 comment:

  1. I think it was vasaline that was on your stick from what I remember them handing out in that race when I ran it. Definetly not too tasty and I am sure people thought you were really weird, so what is new!!!

    ReplyDelete